The city is absolutely wonderful. We got to see a cathedral which was originally constructed in 774! Yes that's right 774. The structure we entered today was built much later, but we were able to see some of the original foundation. From there we explored other related areas to the Cathedral. We walked through the cemetery which is so much different from those back home. They are all decorated and just beautiful.
After that we went to tour the castle that overlooks Salzburg. It was a real castle!! I was very excited about that part. We were able to take a guided tour, look at exhibits, and take in a panoramic view of the city. The castle was really neat, and also incredibly large seeing as it took us hours to explore.
From there we walked on the streets of Salzburg, where we stumbled upon a great place to eat that everyone enjoyed. We also stopped into a few of the shops in the old part of the city. It really is a unique place to visit. We had hoped to get to see Mozart's birthplace and residence but we ran out of time. However, we were able to take a trip up to a great lookout spot just as it started to get dark, which gave us another great view of the city.
Overall, Salzburg was absolutely amazing and I want to go back! It made the incredibly long trip to get here worth it. Tomorrow we get to explore Innsbruck, where we are staying, and hopefully it will be just as enjoyable. I would say I could stay here forever, but I'm not a fan of the mineral water here and having to pay for the bathroom.


No comments:
Post a Comment